Tuesday, August 22, 2006

Confessions of a GTD, Productivity Addict


Look, I know. I have a problem. It all started with personal development guru Steve Pavlina. He got me inspired, motivated. I wanted to grow, change, improve. Now. I wanted my own blog, too. So I blame him for the following:


  • My blog
  • my trying "to live consciously"
  • my trying to be nicer to people, handling difficult people better
  • Lucid dreaming
  • Watching less TV
What's wrong with all that, you ask? Well, that was just the beginning. His blog led me to other personal growth/development blogs (not as good, by the way). And once I had this blog, I wanted to improve it. I started reading Problogger.

GTD/Productivity. Then I stumbled on to GTD. Whoa! What is this? I was Alice in Productivity Wonderland. GTD!? It was a productivity cult, with their off-shoots (Life Hackers), that are obsessed with Getting Things Done. Not so much multi-tasking, but more about doing things cleaner (esthetically), quicker, cheaper. Topics inlcude:
  • Clutter-free computer desktop/best background for your laptop
  • Organizing your folders
  • How not to check your email
  • Setting/achieving goals
  • Boosting your energy
But it took me half the day to figure out what it stood for. Getting Things Done. Not exactly the most productive way to spend my day.

"A hack, in software circles, is a quickly written short piece of code that makes something work. It may not be beautiful to look at, but it makes things function." -- Ari Lukumies from The Hackers FAQ by Peter Seebs.

Life Hackers. They expanded the definition to include all of, well, Life. They sub-divided themselves into Parenting Hackers, too. From the Life Hacker apostles, I learned:
I'm so productive I have more time to:
  • constantly check my Technorati ranking or how little I've made today with Adsense
  • check out more GTD sites
There is so much out there, so many hacks to try and learn. So, so little time. I can't help it. I CAN'T STOP IMPROVING MYSELF. Help! Please intervene. Help me stay away from this blogroll feeding my addiction:
Help, help.

2 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hi people
I do not know what to give for Christmas of the to friends, advise something ....

6:35 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hello. Good day
Who listens to what music?
I Love songs Justin Timberlake and Paris Hilton

2:50 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home