Saturday, June 09, 2007

On Fatherhood

Not because Father's Day is just around the bend, but I've been thinking about my father a lot.

Half of everything I know about being a parent I learned from him. There's many things I want to say to him, so many questions to ask him. He died at a young 55. And all I think about are all the things he didn't get to see...my wedding, my little girl (his granddaughter)...

My little girl just cannot sleep with a blanket. So every night, in the middle of the night (when she's finally in a deep slumber), I sneak into her room to put a blanket over her. That simple act is one of many things I love about being a father.

For Father's Day, I do not want socks or ties or a barbeque grilling set. I just want to be able to put a blanket over my little girl. And to remember to send a silent thanks to my father.

3 Comments:

Blogger Admin said...

What a beautiful post. My father was 53 when he died and he missed seeing all of his grandchildren. I also have a daughter who throws her covers off even in the depth of a Maine winter. So every night, her father or I cover her up and smile at how sweet she looks while she's sleeping. It's kind of a gift that we get that parents of kids who cover up don't get, I guess.
Shine On,
Lill

6:09 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

My dad also died at 53. I did get to have him walk me down the aisle, and he met my oldest two children, though the second only for a few months. I miss him tons and wish my kids could know him. He would have sooo loved being their grandpa now.

8:21 PM  
Blogger jldude said...

Thank you so much for the lovely comments. I'm not used to comments or an audience so I'm at a lost what to say other than "thank you."

This post was written when I could not sleep the other night, with thoughts swirling about my father, fatherhood...and how long I have to wait before I could go into my girl's room for the blanket ritual.

2:14 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home